Problems with cross-ld running on Red Hat 6.0

I have a full crossgcc package aimed towards a new architecture.  This
package works fine under FreeBSD and Solaris, where we've been running
for a while.  I'm now trying to get it to run under linux (in
particular, a PII running Red Hat 6.0), and have encountered a problem
that I haven't seen under the other platforms.  If I try to use _any_
mem file, the lexer crashes.  Ex:

redhat1:~/cygnet >my-cross-ld -o foo.eexe foo.o bar.a
my-cross-ld:built in linker script:1: parse error

Or with an external mem file:

redhat1:~/cygnet $cat foo.mem
SECTIONS
{
        .text   0x00000000 : { *(.text) }
}
redhat1:~/cygnet >my-cross-ld -o foo.eexe foo.o bar.a -T foo.mem
my-cross-ld:foo.mem:1: parse error

However, if I specify an empty mem file, it works:

redhat1:~/cygnet >cat empty.mem
redhat1:~/cygnet >my-cross-ld -o foo.eexe foo.o bar.a -T empty.mem
redhat1:~/cygnet >

I'm failing to debug yyparse effectively right now, due to all the
bogus line numbers as it goes through bison.simple, so was hoping for
some advice or suggestions as to what might be going on.  Thanks a
lot!

DaveG