Unable to find a register to spill

This is not a typical question and I hope
someone out there can answer it.

I am making a compiler (using gcc) for a
new processor.  I have a machine description
file and the other custom files that are
needed.  The compiler has been
working well but sometimes I get the
"Unable to find a register to spill" error
message.  This is far deeper into the
compiler code than the machine description
file I have created and I don't know how to
get around this.

There are some blocks of code that compile
and run fine.  However if they are in the
same program then I get the error.  I am
only compiling the C program with gcc,
we are using a custom assembler.

If any experts out there could help me
fix this I would be grateful.