Re: *** Floating Point Unavailable ***

C. M. Heard/VVNET, Inc. wrote:

> > > 2) Where can I find the file that gcc uses as default startup-file?
> >
> > The startup file is crt0.S
> >
> > > 3) How can I disable this default startup file?
> >
> > You can't, at least not without a lot of compiler hacking. The best
> > approach is to add a line of assembly code in your main () function like
> > this:
> >
> <snip>
>
> With older versions (2.7.2 et. seq) of gcc it was possible (at least when
> using gnu-ld) to organize things any way you wanted by writing a linker
> directive file to replace the one that gcc uses by default.  Granted, most
> of my experience is with MIPS, but I recall doing similar stuff with ppc
> about two years ago.  Is this not still possible?

On the PowerPC port there are a several files which are automatically
linked in, for startup support and also for ELF constructor/destructor
support. This stuff gets put on the linker command line, so the linker
script file can't prevent these files from being included into the final
program.

Most of this is done in the 'specs' file, so strictly speaking this
behaviour could be changed just by editing the specs file. However, I
don't believe changing the specs file would be a good idea, since it
will change the compiler's 'default' behaviour; the simplest solution is
to add a couple of assembly instructions to the application program.

Scott