Re: Cross-Compiler FOR mc68360?

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Brendan Simon wrote:

> Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>
> >   In message <3772EAF8.7B042AB2@dgs.monash.edu.au>you write:
> >   > egcs is based on gcc-2.8.1.  Cygnus is now the official maintainer of gcc.
> >   >  The next release of gcc (gcc-2.9.5) will be based on
> >   > the latest egcs code.
> > Just a clarification to prevent any misunderstandings.
> >
> > Cygnus is not the official maintainer of gcc.  The egcs/gcc project is now the
> > official maintainer of gcc.  While Cygnus does contribute to the egcs/gcc
> > project, it does not control the egcs/gcc project.
> >
> > The egcs/gcc project is managed by a steering committee that is tasked with
> > making important decisions in the best interests of the egcs/gcc project.
>
> This is a copy of the April 20 News/Announcements at http://egcs.cygnus.com/
>
> April 20, 1999
>                        Yes, it is not a hoax: The egcs steering committee is
> appointed official GNU maintainer for GCC; the egcs team will be responsible for
> rolling out future GCC releases.  This will require some changes in policy and
> procedures for the project. We will provide more information on those changes as
> they are available.
> www.gnu.org has the FSF announcement under the "GNU flashes" heading.
>
> So the egcs steering committee is the official maintatiner for GCC.  I assumed
> the egcs steering committee was Cygnus (at least Cygnus people) but this is
> probably a bad assumption.

The EGCS Steering Committee has a variety of people on it including
myself.  So there are both Cygnus and non-Cygnus people on the committee.
The composition of the committee was intended to represent the wide
variety of user groups using gcc (different languages, embedded versus
native, etc., etc.)

The URL for information on the Steering Committe is at
http://egcs.cygnus.com/steering.html.

--joel
   Support Available             (256) 722-9985