malloc

Hii all,
Right now I'm doing my embedded code based on M68000 processor.
Since that the code isn't so complex and I have also small
memory built in, I decide not to put any OS on the system.
In order to reserve space in memory for data buffer from
UART interface (later on will be passed to the DSP),
I make use of 'malloc' and 'free' function.
As I check 'malloc' source from newlib from cygnus, mentioned
like this :

/* VxWorks provides its own version of malloc, and we can't use this
   one because VxWorks does not provide sbrk.  So we have a hook to
   not compile this code.  */

Does it mean that I couldn't use this malloc if I don't implement
VxWorks OS in the system??
If yes, can anybody tell me other method to reserve memory space??
Thank's

Dony
Email : dony@willowglen.com.sg
To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.