spam on this list (sigh)

    Doug> I loathe spam as much as the next person but I'm not sure
    Doug> what I can do to effectively eliminate it.  One thing is set
    Doug> the majordomo config option that only lets members of the
    Doug> list write to the list.  That may cause problems for some as
    Doug> I believe a simple strcmp is used to see whether a sender is
    Doug> in the recorded list, and if your site includes machine
    Doug> names in your email address and you happen to send a message
    Doug> from a machine different from the one you subscribed from
    Doug> then your message will fail (it seems to me majordomo could
    Doug> be a bit smarter here --- I'll have to check, does anyone
    Doug> know?).

    Doug> I could just leave things as is and wait until things get
    Doug> sufficiently intolerable of course.

The other alternative is to make it a *MODERATED* list.  That way only
you will have to read the spam.  The only disadvantage is that
postings will not appear until you have read them.  We have tried all
these approaches on other list I belong to, and *OCASSIONAL*
moderation seems to be the best route to go.  Spammers tend to not
spam when the spam does not get posted, especially if they get a reply
from the list moderator.  But then, this only works when the spam is
not auto-emailed and forged so no reply is possible.  What to do?

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III rj@eli.elilabs.com  http://www.elilabs.com 1 847 705-0424