Re: P&E BDM cable and ColdFire

Hi David,

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, David Vandewalle wrote:

> Has anybody out there got the P&E cable to work with the sbc5206 board ,
> USING FREEWARE/GPLed TOOLS???  I have tried a couple (from sunsite) with
> little luck.

I have written a kernel linux kernel driver, a library and a monitor-like
debugger (flash programming, stepping, breakpoints, memory modify etc.).
The target I am using is a custom made 5204 board, but I have the
5206 eval board and it works as the 5204 target - there are no
differences in respect to BDM.
I am using binutils 2.8.1 and cygnus cdk 18 beta with patches for
coldfire by Rod Barman. I do not know how good coldfire support in the
egcs project's source tree is, but I will check out soon.
Using this environment I was able to port our tasking kernel to
coldfire. Debugging is assembly level only, this sucks
So my next task is going to be modifying the QUICC bdm gdb-target
to use my coldfire bdm abstraction library...

So: BDM support ---- done
    as, ld etc. ---- done
    cc          ---- done
    gdb         ---- still missing

I have the schematics and GAL equations for a BDM adapter compatible
to P&E's. The hardware is very cheap... and can be built by almost anybody.

Since this is a work in progress, I have not uploaded the BDM driver and
library anywhere. If there is need maybe somebody is willing to
provide some space on her ftp server, and I will upload it there.

If there is only very limited need I can cope with sending the BDM package
out by email.

kind regards,
Rolf

> //David E. Vandewalle                       |Weinberg's Law: If builders
> built
> //EMAIL: vandewal@dpg.devry.edu             | buildings the way
> programmers wrote
> //       vandewal@prairienet.org            | programs, then the first
> woodpecker that
> // Finger either account for PGP public key.| came along would destroy
> civilization.

|    _____        |  Rolf Fiedler                                            |
|   / ___/        |  Electronic Design Engineer                              |
|  / _/           |  Ferrari electronic GmbH                                 |
| /_/e/r/r/a/r/i/ |  phone: +49 3328 4559 0  E-Mail: Rolf.Fiedler@Ferrari.DE |
|   electronic    |  fax  : +49 3328 4559 60                                 |