Re: RFC: Contributing the CGEN source to the FSF

Hi Doug,

CGEN isn't (or wasn't) GPLv<x>, it's GPLv<x> + autoconf-like-exception.
Question: How will things look in the brave new world?
I see from src/cgen/COPYING.CGEN cgen is still copyright by Redhat
and has the autoconf-like-exception.  How will COPYING.CGEN look
after it's donated to the FSF?

Hmm, well given that the GCC project has not yet managed to get a clear answer from the FSF on this issue, I think that the safest thing to do is to try to contribute the sources under GPLv2+autoconf-like-exceptions and see if the binutils project is willing to accept them under these terms.

As binutils maintainer I could accept them like this, although I will check with the FSF first to see how they feel about it. If they insist on gplv3-or-nothing then I guess we hold off on the contribution until the exceptions issue can be resolved.

'nother question: If a .cpu file is pure GPLv<x>, does
"As a special exception, Red Hat gives unlimited permission to copy,
distribute and modify the code that is the output of CGEN." work?
Seems like a useful FAQ entry if nothing else.  Things have changed
and I've long since forgotten the issues.

Hmm, not sure myself. Seems like we need a license lawyer.

*sigh* All I wanted to do was be a good open source advocate and contribute a tool to the community... :-)

Cheers
  Nick