Re: large web pages

   Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:00:48 -0400
   From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>

   I have no clue either, but I will mention that a certain directory tree
   on the webserver is gzip'd nightly.  If the browser indicates that it can
   handle gzip'd files, that's what the server sends.  The original copy is
   also kept, for the sake of less capable browsers.

   For the life of me I can't recall which directory tree it is.  I think
   it's everything that shows up under http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/.

Jason pointed me at /www/sourceware/htdocs/gdb/onlinedocs,
and I happened to notice .gz files there.

frv-1-insn.html compresses very nicely, 1277408 -> 84001.  woohoo.
With a fast connection and a fast machine there's no significant
difference to page loading speed though.
People with slow connections would presumably notice of course.