This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: shared strings in archive string tables?
- From: Mikael Pettersson <mikpelinux at gmail dot com>
- To: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 09:34:23 +0200
- Subject: Re: shared strings in archive string tables?
- References: <CAM43=SM72MJyOXVMPWbSc-qVtpupA_z4yvyS16D-OM-Km97JnA@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com>
On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 2:14 PM Nick Clifton <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
> > So this seems to work with the GNU binutils' 'ar'. My question is if
> > this is something any 'ar' should handle or not?
> My feeling would be "not". The reason being that if you start creating
> archives like this, it will cause problems for other versions of the ar
> tool from other operating systems. In particular if you attempt to remove
> an entity from an archive where the name is shared with others, then extra
> care must be taken when updating the name table. Other versions of the
> ar tool are unlikely to do this.
That makes sense, thanks.