Re: shared strings in archive string tables?

Hi Mikael,

> So this seems to work with the GNU binutils' 'ar'.  My question is if
> this is something any 'ar' should handle or not?

My feeling would be "not".  The reason being that if you start creating
archives like this, it will cause problems for other versions of the ar
tool from other operating systems.  In particular if you attempt to remove
an entity from an archive where the name is shared with others, then extra
care must be taken when updating the name table.  Other versions of the
ar tool are unlikely to do this.