This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
FSF Binutils release 2.31 is now available
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org, info-gnu at gnu dot org, dje dot gcc at gmail dot com
- Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 19:48:19 +0100
- Subject: FSF Binutils release 2.31 is now available
We are pleased to announce that version 2.31 of the Binutils project
sources have been released and are now available for download at:
This release contains numerous bug fixes, and also the
following new features:
* Direct linking with DLLs for Cygwin and Mingw targets is now faster.
* The linker now defaults to enabling -z separate-code for Linux
targets, although a configure time option can change this.
This option can increase disk and memory size of executables, but
it does help to improve security.
* The disassembler supports Netronome Flow Processor (NFP) firmware
* The AArch64 disassembler supports showing disassembly notes which
are emitted when inconsistencies are found with the instruction that
may result in the instruction being invalid. It also emits warnings
when a combination of an instruction and a named register could be
* The AR archive manager now supports an "O" modifier to display
member offsets inside an archive.
* The ADR and ADRL pseudo-instructions supported by the ARM assembler
now only set the bottom bit of the address of thumb function symbols
if the -mthumb-interwork command line option is active.
* The MIPS assembler supports the Global INValidate (GINV) and
Cyclic Redudancy Check (CRC) architecture extensions.
* Support has been added for the Freescale S12Z architecture.
* The assembler has a new --generate-missing-build-notes=[yes|no]
option to create (or not) GNU Build Attribute notes if none are
present in the input sources.
* The -mold-gcc command-line option has been removed for x86 targets.
* The x86 assembler now supports a -O[2|s] command-line options to
enable alternate shorter instruction encodings.
* The gold linker has a new --debug=plugin option for easier debugging
of plugin-related problems.
* The gold linker now supports the -z keep_text_section_prefix option.
* The gold linker now has support for .note.gnu.property sections
(from Linux ABI extensions).
* Add gold linker now has support for Intel's Indirect Branch Tracking
(IBT) and Shadow Stack instructions.
Our thanks go out to all of the binutils contributors, past and
present, for helping to make this release possible.