This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: building gold from release tarball requires bison?
- From: Matt Rice <ratmice at gmail dot com>
- To: Benjamin Peterson <bp at benjamin dot pe>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:39:13 -0700
- Subject: Re: building gold from release tarball requires bison?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1504138061.2253397.1090466392.2D52A658@webmail.messagingengine.com>
On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Benjamin Peterson <email@example.com> wrote:
> At least the binutils-2.29 tarball, the generated parser for
> gold/yyscript.y is not included, so building gold requires bison. Since
> other bison parsers (e.g., binutils/defparser.c) seem to be generated
> into the release tarball, am I correct in assuming this is an oversight
> in the release process? gold/README does promise "If you are building
> gold from an official binutils release,
> the bison output should already be included."
Hmm, I've not exactly pinpointed the problem, but thought I had tested
this before the commit for PR 18200,
looking at the tarballs since then it doesn't appear that yyscript.c
has showed up in a release tarball since that was resolved.
Looks like my testing was flawed,
what I notice is that running ./configure; cd gold && ./configure; cd
..; ./src-release.sh -g binutils
seems to include yyscript.c, but running plain old top-level
configure; src-release.sh does not seem to include it in the resulting
I have a feeling that the gold/Makefile is not being generated in the
src-release.sh machinery, and so its never hitting the "diststuff"
my guess is that the release process doesn't configure with both
linkers e.g. --enable-gold --enable-ld