Re: Problem with building PDF documentation

Hi Freddie,

Would it be
possible for you to run the texi2dvi command locally with either--debug
or --verbose added to the command line to see if this helps pinpoint
exacltly what is wrong ?

It is definitely possible and I'm more than happy to help. But could you help
me with that a bit? What arguments should I use for that and do I have to run
some other commands before texi2dvi? I'm not an expert in these matters... );

Nor am I. :-)

So, in theory what you should do is rerun the "make info" command (or whatever command you are using that triggers the failure). Once the failure has happened change into the gas/doc directory and run the texinfo command directly, with the extra options added. Based on the binutils.log file you sent this command would be:

TEXINPUTS="/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../texinfo:$TEXINPUTS" \
MAKEINFO='makeinfo \
  --split-size=5000000 \
  --split-size=5000000 \
  -I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc" \
-I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../libiberty" \ -I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../bfd/doc" \
  -I ../../bfd/doc \
  -I /home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc' \
texi2dvi \
  -I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc" \
-I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../libiberty" \ -I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../bfd/doc" \
  -I ../../bfd/doc \
  --pdf \
  --batch \
  --debug \
  --verbose \
  -o as.pdf \

/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc/as.texinfo

This won't work - as I wrote in my e-mail, with the current version of the
tools the documentation for the exact same revision that I used 3 months ago
doesn't build too.

Sorry - I thought that you meant that the documentation as of Sep 28 would build using your current tools - my mistake.