This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
RE: [RFC][MIPS] What to do about DT_MIPS_RLD_MAP and PIE
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Matthew Fortune <Matthew dot Fortune at imgtec dot com>
- Cc: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "libc-alpha at sourceware dot org" <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, "Joseph Myers (joseph at codesourcery dot com)" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>, "Moore, Catherine (Catherine_Moore at mentor dot com)" <Catherine_Moore at mentor dot com>, Nikola Veljkovic <Nikola dot Veljkovic at imgtec dot com>
- Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:35:19 +0000
- Subject: RE: [RFC][MIPS] What to do about DT_MIPS_RLD_MAP and PIE
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B0235320F3027E at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1410221755430 dot 7896 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B0235320F30462 at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org>
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Matthew Fortune wrote:
> I'm not sure about using the old name with a new tag as it is listed in the
> original psABI I believe.
But not cast in stone, we can always amend the document if we find it
reasonable. If the semantics is preserved from the user's point of view
and only the encoding is different, then I think it's the most
> For safety a PIE could only get the new tag rather
> than both of course but a standard executable could have both I guess.
Old tag can simply continue being produced where it is now, while the new
one would be added everywhere.