Question about final link in custom bfd target

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list for this question but
hopefully you can help me out.

We have developed a new target for binutils for a processor we are
using for research. The file format we target is elf and the linker is
ld.
Most of the things seem to be working,  but specifically the
--emit-relocs flag doesn't do anything. While looking into this I
found that the default final link function is bfd_generic_final_link,
which doesn't know about that flag. So I tried changing the final link
function to bfd_elf_gc_common_final_link.
This doesn't seem to work as the linker doesn't produce any output,
not even error messages.

Note that our elf32-rvex.c file contains almost nothing beside the
struct array of relocation types and a couple of defines for things
like endiannes and reloc name and howto lookups.
If I look at something like elf32-arm.c I can see that they define
many additional functions for things like final link, and other
relocation related things. Do I need to define all those as well to
get --emit-relocs to work, or are there some other default functions
like bfd_elf_gc_common_final_link that I should be using?
Since the default case seems to almost work as expected I think I'm
missing some simple step.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony