Re: RFC: Use .plt section sh_entsize instead of GET_PLT_ENTRY_SIZE

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Michael Matz wrote:

> > > I don't like this at all.  The suggestion from Ian or Alan (don't
> > > remember) with multiple plts sounds much better.  Only 2 plt slots per
> > > icache line seems quite horrible when not needed.  IIRC you said "it
> > > sounds complicated" to that idea.  I say, "so what?".  Life is hard.
> > >

> > The main issue is the new shared libraries/executables must work with
> > the existing dynamic linker.
>
> Explain what issue you see.  In the two-plt model the existing dynamic
> linker won't know about the second .plt, hence use the old non-bnd aware
> slots.  I.e. they will work, but bound checking will be ineffective.  I
> think requiring a new dynamic linker to make bounds checking work over
> PLT borders is sensible.

 FWIW the MIPS port now implements mixing PLT slot sizes within the PLT
and no changes to ld.so were required to support this; ld.so does not
really care about how PLT entries look like -- all it cares about are GOT
offsets that are used to find the relevant GOT entry to relocate, and that
x86 PLT entry code pushes onto the stack.  These offsets have no relation
to how PLT entries have been structured within the PLT, you just need to
push them onto stack somehow.

 MIPS PLT can now include multiple entries, of a different size each,
referring to the same GOT offset and the PLT entries are not sorted
(anymore) in the increasing GOT offset order (the difference is the MIPS
port passes the GOT offset in a register rather than on the stack, but
that's a minor implementation detail that does not affect the overall
design).  Perhaps you could take a similar approach to solve your problem.

 HTH,

  Maciej