This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: PR ld/13177: garbage collector retains zombie references to external libraries
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:29:26 +1030
- Subject: Re: PATCH: PR ld/13177: garbage collector retains zombie references to external libraries
- References: <20110914191438.GA4795@intel.com> <20110915002501.GM10321@bubble.grove.modra.org> <CAMe9rOo0ADerLbtb6=J4KWS8LvtGhWnKy66vEQfcnsRZ08xfirstname.lastname@example.org> <20110916005216.GP10321@bubble.grove.modra.org> <20111017072847.GK9539@bubble.grove.modra.org> <CAMe9rOrZ71HXx-mrFrtXe+OAiEwFuYwbCP0S1kjGbKQ774cwSw@mail.gmail.com>
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:21:37AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> Should we make elf_gc_sweep_symbol target dependent to take ABI
> differences into account?
No. I believe the only solution to this PR is marking symbols used by
relocs in kept sections. I'm quite certain the existing code in
elf_gc_sweep_symbol will break corner cases on powerpc64-linux,
hppa-linux and probably other targets. Modifying what we have there,
even with a target hook, won't work.
You should revert your patch on the branch, and I'll continue with the
symbol marking change for mainline. This will likely mean that 2.22
goes out without this PR fixed.
Australia Development Lab, IBM