Re: [Keith Seitz] Re: [tools-team] Status 2008-09-01

Hi Keith,

> That is, I think "set print object on" ought to affect the type of the
> resulting history variable -- but not the type of any intermediate
> values in an expression.
>
> Jan> One should change this (+some other related options in
> Jan> `user_print_options') and in some way fix the testsuite regressions
> Jan> afterwards by one of:
>
> I agree, we should change this default.

I changed objectprint to on by default on Jan's suggestion, but this breaks some
other cases like this one (from ptr-typedef test)

struct foo {
  int x;
};

typedef struct foo *foz;

int
main (void)
{
  foz_ptr = NULL;
}

gdb> p foz_ptr
$1 = (struct foo *) 0x0
instead of
(foz*)

So the change isn't acceptable.

Back to the previous case: Jan suggested printing an error/warning for the user
saying that the ptr has a different type (and maybe printing the type). What do
you think?

Thanks,
Dragos