Re: [Archer] Merging lessons

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 01:38:02 +0100, Tom Tromey wrote:
> At the moment I don't think I have a preference.  My main concerns are
> that we have decent change logging, and that we reduce the pain of
> merging.  Either of these seems to fit the bill.

I find unclear not where but even what should be maintained as Archer
changelogs:

As Archer is based on the continuously changing FSF GDB and the FSF changelogs
are detailed enough to require an update on many merge conflict cases I find
them difficult to maintain and use only the single sentence patch goal.  FSF
changelog I create only at the point of submitting it for FSF GDB.

In fact I find Tom also does the same sometimes, such as for
  3ba4f9e029fb84916f6e16a4d4dfd941796669ce
  fix off-by-one error when concatenating strings

Should Archer submit a full FSF changelog history of the branch being
checked-in FSF GDB or just the final patch changes?  Or should be maintained
the FSF changelog style for Archer and then written a new FSF changelog entry
for the FSF GDB merge?

Regards,
Jan