Re: Python pretty-printers and non-ASCII strings do not play well together :-(

Tom> What should happen here, though?  The string contains invalid
Tom> characters for its declared (via set target-charset) encoding.

Paul> As an end-user, I would expect something like
Paul>   $2 = <"\xef\xcd\xab">

It occurs to me I am not completely certain where this error
originates.  My theory is that it is the call to PyUnicode_Decode in
valpy_str.

If so, then we aren't seeing a value representation problem, which is
what I was worried about.  Instead, I think common_val_print is
emitting a string which is not actually valid according to
host_charset.  That seems wrong.

We could work around this in valpy_str, I suppose.  But I'm curious to
know why this is happening -- why isn't common_val_print printing the
escape sequences itself?

My guess is that the target and host charsets are the same, and
charset.c is passing character through without checking them for
validity.  I didn't debug it, but when I set host-charset to ASCII (my
target-charset is ISO-8859-1), I do see the escapes.

Every time I look at this stuff I'm reminded that the gdb charset code
could use a good scrubbing.  For example, the default host charset
ought to come from the locale settings.  I have a patch to implement
this, but there's no point submitting it since it breaks gdb on
typical Linux systems -- most people use UTF-8 locales, but gdb
doesn't handle UTF-8.

Maybe we should just install a smart Python printer for 'char *' ;-)

Paul> What are some of the good Python references?
Tom> http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/api/api.html

Paul> Yes, I've seen the above, but it didn't have the answers I was
Paul> looking for :(

What do you want to know?  Both Thiago and I have worked in this area,
maybe one of us knows.