Sequentially processing XSL on an XML-File

Dear People,

I have got  the following problems:

1. I want to transform an xml file "a.xml" to an xml-file "final.xml". In
order to achieve the wanted result, somehow I have to use two
xsl-stylesheets. The first to generate a redundant "b.xml" file. Then process this "b.xml"
file to the "final.xml" file.

How can I transform the "a.xml" file to the "final.xml" within one single
style sheet using the two former ones? (So I could save a
processing-step....)
Is that possible at all? Is it possible to run another instance of the
xsl-processor (xalan here) from the stylesheet?

2. I created a dtd for generating an xml-file, that should contain some
functionality data to do some kind of processing in an xml-file (i.e. tag
identifiers, what has to be done, how etc.). I want to include this data in a
style sheet. How can I do that?

I would greatly appreciate it, if you could give me further reference or
suggest some sort of path for solution. Especially for my first question,
cause that is my main problem..

Thanks in advance.

Yunus Karakaya