RE: What is XPath? Is this a W3C standard or product name?

XPath is the syntax for specifying sets of nodes in an XML document relative
to some context node. It is a W3C spec. which initially was part of XSLT
when XSLT was still under development, but it was seperated out into its own
standard when it was realised that it would be useful in other technologies
aswell (such as XPointer). So both XSLT and XPointer use XPath.