Re: rendering Xlink from a XML by using XSL

Handren Ahmed wrote:

> hi!
>
> Thank you for youre answer.

I'll try to answer your next one, but I think we are deriving off-topic,
that the question would be better debated on xml-dev and that you should
carry it on over there if you want to pursue the debate ;)

> What can I do, if I want to use xlink:show='embed'? is there any Xhtml-tag
> even for that?

No, except maybe using frames.

In that case, you'd better copy the nodesets that are linked with these
attributes.

> The point is, I am writing a composition "in swedish" about the XML, and the
> purpose with that composition is to show the strength of XML in combination
> with its related teknik such as XSL.
> I thought that I could use all of the Xlinks beauty, such as show="embed" or
> xlink:type="extended" ect, but it turnes out that it is imposible to me to
> implement it.
> Could you please tell me how else I could present XML-taggs if not with XSL
> "excluding XQL, DOM, SAX, JDOM".
>
> How can I derive advantage out of Xlink...how can I see the effect of the
> Xlinks-atribute and behavior "content-role, content-title, acutate, shoe,
> behavior, ..." without involvment of Xhtml.

The short answer, IMHO, is that you can't yet.

XLink is not yet a recommendation and is not supported by the browsers.

While you can rather easily take advantage of such new technologies and
specifications on a server where you control more or less what you're
installing, it's a very different story on the client side.

Using XLink now is taking a bet on something that will not be widely
used client side before:

a) it is a recommendation,
b) it is implemented by new browsers
c) these browsers have taken a significant share within the installed
base.

Untill then, the best you can do is to transform these new features into
good old (X)HTML using XSLT (client or server side) !

My 0,02 Euros,

Eric