RE: Start of plan for XOpenWin

> Could it take over the whole system, with all running apps being
> displayed in a local X server and no GDI display at all?

You might not want this - some apps might not work well being displayed over
X.  Also, often I have my girlfriend using my NT box at its console and I
using
it via a window manager exported to an Xterminal.  I would want to run x
forwarded apps,
she would want to use native GDI apps.

> Could it be used to take over the login box (which we could
> replace with
> xdm/kdm etc)?

This would require a replacement GINA.  I think this is almost another
project
- would you also want to replace the task manager etc?

> Could it be used to have multiple logging in remotely while the system
> is being used (thin client / terminal server idea)?

As above I currently do that.

> Could it be used to run alongside the standard GDI so some apps are
> running in the standard GDI and some are running (locally or remotely)
> in an X Server?

Would be good too.

> however, it lacks flexibility and requires us to implement
>     everything in user32.dll

No it doesn't.  Take a look at the attached files.  These should be enough
to build
a user32.dll which forwards all calls to U32X4WIN.DLL (which is what you
rename user32.dll
to).

I haven't tested this yet as my win2000 user32.dll exports functions not
defined in my user32.lib.  I guess I need to download the win2000 sdk (I
created the .def file by 'dumpbin /exports USER32.DLL | ./fixup.pl ).

>     I already have code which does this

can you post a link?

>     b) should allow running BOTH original function AND
> wrapped function
>        the issue here is what to do with return results

Hum - I like this idea (so you have the apps running native and in X at the
same time
but this will make things very complex - certainly when we start thinking
about input)

> 3) Investigate using code from wine x11drv
>     Basically in Wine there's a lot of code that's relevant
>     Alexander Gottwald posted on the cygwin list that he got
> x11drv, the
>     X11 driver for GDI, to compile but not link
>     Basically a lot of this code could probably be copied and
> pasted into
>     our project to implement functions as we go along.
>     When we work out how it all works, we may be able to use
> it straight

Yes, I can see a lot of wine code being sucked into this.

Stuart