Re: SDTs with data types and argument names

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 at 11:00, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> That is, unless there's some way we can escape the function scope in which
> the STAP_PROBEn(...) macro is invoked and define global symbols. I've asked
> for ideas about that here: https://stackoverflow.com/q/59402666/398670 .

Looks like that's quite practical using the existing .pushsection and
.popsection features used in the existing <sys/sdt.h>. If building without
__ASSEMBLER__ we would treat STAP_PROBEn_ARGINFO(...) the same as
STAP_PROBEn(...) i.e. not generate arg info. But we could still emit it for
probes defined via a probes.d .

Will try to find time to draft a patch. My first foray into asm and custom
ELF sections...