Re: measuring network packets

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 06:21:56PM -0500, Mag Gam wrote:
> I want to know if there is a way to measure the time spent a IP packet
> going from application, kernel and to the NIC. Is this possible to do
> with systemtap?

You could set a probe on the system call the application is using to send
the data (probably syscall.send for UDP for example), another one on
netdev.hard_transmit (or on lower level function specific to the driver)
then measure the time between the two. I am not sure how accurate the
absolute value you would measure with this would be but it can certainly
be used for comparison when using the same methodology on other systems.