Re: [pcp] suitability of PCP for event tracing

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:49:07 +1100 (EST), nathans  wrote:

 >> There may be just one PMID and an associated PM_TYPE_STRING value
 >> in cases where the event subsystem produces event records as
 >> structured strings, e.g. XML or JSON encodings.

 nathans> I think we should introduce PM_TYPE_JSON and PM_TYPE_XML so that the
 nathans> clients can differentiate these from unstructured strings...

It we're going to do that can we also agree who owns memory allocated
to hold the string and who is responsible for freeing it? Current idea
what pmda callback owns the memory makes life harder for dynamically
allocated strings. In fact, I think adding something
PM_TYPE_YOUFREE_STRING would make like easier for PMDA writers.

max