This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the systemtap project.
[Bug uprobes/5163] tweak uprobes.ko build process
- From: "jkenisto at us dot ibm dot com" <sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org>
- To: systemtap at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 28 Nov 2007 00:31:14 -0000
- Subject: [Bug uprobes/5163] tweak uprobes.ko build process
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: sourceware-bugzilla at sourceware dot org
------- Additional Comments From jkenisto at us dot ibm dot com 2007-11-28 00:31 -------
a) How about moving the uprobes source from
$(DESTDIR)/$(pkgdatadir)/runtime/uprobes to $(DESTDIR)/var/systemtap/uprobes?
That would insure that the uprobes home lives in a writable filesystem, so
uprobes.ko can be built there. I guess the preferred way to refer to
$(DESTDIR)/var/systemtap in Makefile.am is as
b) I think it's correct that only root can build the version of uprobes.ko that
staprun insmods. We don't want non-root users -- even users in group stapdev
-- to mess with the uprobes source. This also gets around some rather messy
problems that can arise if root builds uprobes.ko and then a non-root member of
stapdev tries to build it.
c) staprun will modprobe or insmod uprobes.ko, if necessary, for anybody who
invokes staprun with -u and specifies a permitted stap-generated module. I
think this is OK.
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the assignee for the bug, or are watching the assignee.