staprun:init_cap:73: ERROR: cap_set_proc: Operation not permitted

Does anyone have any insight into this error:
staprun:init_cap:73: ERROR: cap_set_proc: Operation not permitted
I am invoking stap via:
stap -vvvv -g -m sstep -I itrace -I itrace/ppc64 sstep.stp -c "/home/dcn/work/taptrace/probeme4 10000"

This looks like it is coming from the staprun program in cap.c.

The notes from the set_cap_proc man page say:
The function capsetp should be used with care.  It exists, primar-
       ily, to overcome a lack of support for capabilities in any of  the
       filesystems  supported  by  Linux.  The semantics of this function
       may change as it is better understood.  Please note,  by  default,
       the  only  processes  that  have CAP_SETPCAP available to them are
       processes started as a kernel-thread.   (Typically  this  includes
       init(8),  kflushd and kswapd). You will need to recompile the ker-
       nel to modify this default.
Is this possibly an issue with the type of filesystem where my application lives, or is there some sort kernel reconfiguration I need to do? I was missing CONFIG_RELAY, and CONFIG_DEBUG_FS from my kernel configuration, so are there any other things that SystemTap needs that I might be missing (I have CONFIG_KPROBES=y, and CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y)

I'm running on an x86 with SLES10 on 2.6.23-rc5-default with the uprobes patch and am using utrace.
I can't find anything called init_cap in my generated module source, or in the SystemTap runtime source.

dogbert% stap -V
SystemTap translator/driver (version 0.6/0.129 built 2007-09-24)
Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Red Hat, Inc. and others
dogbert% uname -a
Linux dogbert 2.6.23-rc5-default #4 Tue Sep 25 15:47:38 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--
Dave Nomura
LTC Linux Power Toolchain