Killing staprun/stapio cleanly from another process

If I want to use staprun to run a pre-compiled script module, then want to kill it cleanly via a signal from another process, what's the best way to do that? I tried "kill -s SIGINT <staprun_pid>" and it didn't work, although the same command against the stapio pid does seem to work.

Thanks,
Mike