Re: Probe on function entry rather than the end of the prolog (s390x only)

David Wilder wrote:

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com> writes:

I don't think that flies so well. The bugs we hit in older
compilers were location lists that looked fine but were incorrect
for the prologue regions. There isn't any automatic way to identify
those location lists as bad.

Too bad. OK, then let's gather some data about compiler versions and architectures. If we find a reasonable and documentable dividing line between working and not working, then we can make systemtap assume the former. (We could retain a discreet switch such as an environment variable to activate the prologue code for people stuck with non-working systems.)

- FChE

What archs did you see bugs on? I suspect any list of working and not working gcc versions will have to be indexed by arch.

I can try to verify that the location lists for the prolog region (on s390) are always correct or not.
After making my purposed change on s390x the full systemtap tests found no new failures. But that may not be all inclusive so I will try to develop a specific test.

I would like to re-open this discussion.
I have not had a chance to do any targeted testing of the correctness of location lists at function entry on the s390x. However, in other testing I have not seen any issues related to bad location info at the function entry. Setting the probe points at the end of the prolog may be problematic on the s390x for another reason. I am told that depending on the optimization level, finding the end of the prolog may be tricky as the prolog may be interspersed with other code. The method used today of finding the prolog by searching for the next line of C code after the function entry may not fly. These are clearly all bugs/issues with gcc and we should push for solutions from the gcc folks. But before that happens I believe the best solution for s390x is going to be placing our probe points at the function entry (only for s390x).

--
David Wilder
IBM Linux Technology Center