This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the systemtap project.
Re: kallsyms_lookup_name not exported
- From: fche at redhat dot com (Frank Ch. Eigler)
- To: "Stone, Joshua I" <joshua dot i dot stone at intel dot com>
- Cc: "David Wilder" <dwilder at us dot ibm dot com>, <systemtap at sourceware dot org>
- Date: 26 Sep 2006 20:53:27 -0400
- Subject: Re: kallsyms_lookup_name not exported
- References: <C56DB814FAA30B418C75310AC4BB279DAEA4FA@scsmsx413.amr.corp.intel.com>
> > Anyone know the story as to why this export was removed [...]
This is some unfortunate fallout from certain denizens of LKML who
were of the opinion that "the only legitimate users of kallsyms_lookup
were kprobes" (and explicitly not systemtap), and appeared to insist
that kprobes do the kallsyms* lookup internally. Then they got the
module export removed. I argued the issue at the time.
> [...] The symbol is still exported in the main git tree...
Not for long.
Either we will need to reopen this issue on LKML, or the runtime will
need to stop trying to use kallsyms* and instead rely in the symbol
table provided by the systemtap translator.