Re: Semantic error with demo scripts..

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:56:45PM -0700, Stone, Joshua I wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2006 2:30 PM, S. P. Prasanna wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am getting semantic errors while running scripts from small_demo
> > directory. This happens on default installation on PPC64 RHEL-4 update
> > 4. Also I am not able to use lket as well.
> > Please let me know if you need more details.

[....]
> You could copy tapset/signal.stp into your installed runtime directory,
> or modify your copy of proc_snoop to use the old ones
> (process.signal_send & process.signal_handle).

You are right.

I used the scripts from the CVS build, since I could not find
the example scripts on the defaults Red Hat Enterprise Linux-AS 4,
Update 4 for ppc64.

It would be helpful if the default installations will have the
"working" demo scripts along with tapsets and runtime.

Should the default RHEL rpms also contain some sample scripts along
with the tapsets and runtime ?

> Or just update your installed systemtap to a CVS build.

The requirement is that, I have to use the default rhel4 installation.
Cant update it.

> > # stap -v -g sched_snoop.stp Pass 1: parsed user script and 25
> > library script(s) in 230usr/0sys/235real ms.
> > semantic error: no match for probe point
> > while: resolving probe point kernel.inline("pull_task")
> > semantic error: no match for probe point
> > while: resolving probe point scheduler.migrate
> > Pass 2: analyzed script: 5 probe(s), 29 function(s), 1 global(s) in
> > 320usr/50sys/365real ms.
> > Pass 2: analysis failed.  Try again with more '-v' (verbose) options.
>
> Is this a UP kernel?  Some of the scheduler probes only apply to SMP
> systems, and I've been meaning to clean it up so they don't error on UP
> systems.  I just need a round tuit...

It an PPC64 box with 4 cores.

> > # ./sys.stp
> > semantic error: no match for probe point
> > while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_chown16")
> > semantic error: no match for probe point
> > while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_fchown16")
> > semantic error: no match for probe point
> > while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_getgid16")
>
> You had more success than I did -- when I run this script I get 14 probe
> points not found (on 2.6.9-42.ELsmp i686).  I think the syscall tapset
> still needs some '?'s sprinkled on probe points that aren't universally
> available.

Yes, someone need to work on that.

> > # stap -v -e 'probe addevent.syscall {}' -bM Pass 1: parsed user
> > script and 25 library script(s) in 230usr/0sys/233real ms.
> > semantic error: probe point mismatch at position 0 (alternatives:
> > _process begin end hrtimer(string) ioblock ioscheduler kernel
> > module(string) netdev never pagefault process scheduler scsi syscall
> > timer) while: resolving probe point addevent.syscall
> > Pass 2: analyzed script: 0 probe(s), 0 function(s), 0 global(s) in
> > 0usr/0sys/3real ms.
> > Pass 2: analysis failed.  Try again with more '-v' (verbose) options.
>
> Again I think you're the victim of being out-of-date -- LKET might not
> be included in your installed version.  Even if it was, addevent.syscall
> will probably fail in the same way that sys.stp did for you, since they
> both reference 'syscall.*'.

I see some tapsets in LKET directory
/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/LKET/ with default rhel 4 update-4
installation-ppc64. Did someone checked it?
But none seem to work.. Is LKET supported on RHEL 4 Update4?
If not, it should be documented??

Thanks
Prasanna
--