This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the systemtap project.
Re: [PATCH] Linux Markers 0.4 (+dynamic probe loader) for 2.6.17
- From: Roman Zippel <zippel at linux-m68k dot org>
- To: Ingo Molnar <mingo at elte dot hu>
- Cc: Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu dot desnoyers at polymtl dot ca>, Martin Bligh <mbligh at google dot com>, "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche at redhat dot com>, Masami Hiramatsu <masami dot hiramatsu dot pt at hitachi dot com>, prasanna at in dot ibm dot com, Andrew Morton <akpm at osdl dot org>, Paul Mundt <lethal at linux-sh dot org>, linux-kernel <linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org>, Jes Sorensen <jes at sgi dot com>, Tom Zanussi <zanussi at us dot ibm dot com>, Richard J Moore <richardj_moore at uk dot ibm dot com>, Michel Dagenais <michel dot dagenais at polymtl dot ca>, Christoph Hellwig <hch at infradead dot org>, Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh at suse dot de>, Thomas Gleixner <tglx at linutronix dot de>, William Cohen <wcohen at redhat dot com>, ltt-dev at shafik dot org, systemtap at sources dot redhat dot com, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk dot ukuu dot org dot uk>
- Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:26:26 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Linux Markers 0.4 (+dynamic probe loader) for 2.6.17
- References: <20060920234517.GA29171@Krystal> <20060921044603.GA2089@elte.hu>
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> It affects all tracers: SystemTap/LKST has to adapt to such a scheme
> too, because currently there's no markup scheme in the kernel. So this
> is not something 'against' LTT, but something /for/ a unified landscape
> of tracers. (and as i mentioned it before, it will be easy for you to
> offer a simple "LTT speedup patch", which distros and the upstream
> kernel can consider separately. But it must be /optional/.)
Out of curiosity: How exactly would it hurt this unifiation, if you left
some of the implementation details simply to the archs?
> So far i have not seen any real arguments against this simple but
> fundamental upstream requirement which i pointed out for v0.1 already.
It's funny, after reality sets in, I'll get exactly what I asked for in
the first place, now I only have to figure out a way to do this without
getting insulted by almost everyone...