Re: [TAPSETS] Linux Kernel Event Trace Tool

* Frank Ch. Eigler (fche@redhat.com) wrote:

> Mathieu Desnoyers <compudj@krystal.dyndns.org> writes:
>
> > [...]  The cleanest way I found to log NMIs without losing event is
> > to make the logging code reentrant by itself by using atomic
> > operations.
>
> This approach may not work so easily for systemtap, since scripts have
> a lot more local state (context) than a single tracing function call.
> Plus they sometimes hold locks, during which reentrancy is bad.

I understand. My suggestion is to use a reentrant mechanism when the goal is to
log information to a buffer without preprocessing. I understand that SystemTAP
preprocessing might not be easily doable atomically.

Mathieu

OpenPGP public key:              http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint:     8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F  BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68