Re: Unicode update of width and other character properties

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot this patch.

On Aug 17 07:53, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> [...]
> I'm attaching my patches here for assessment.
> I have revised table handling further, using gcc bit struct packing. The two
> big tables have a total size of 14340 bytes now, for Unicode 10.0.
> I have fixed locale handling in the isw* and tow* functions, but I've not
> yet changed JP conversion. Unfortunately, the routines from newlib/iconvdata
> are not as straight-forward to be employed as I thought, because the work on
> multi-byte representations.
> Also the mapping of ctype charsets (JIS, SJIS, EUC-JP) to the subsets
> handled in iconvdata (JIS-201/208/212) is a little bit obscure.
> Likewise obscure is the relation between newlib/iconvdata and
> newlib/libc/iconv.

This is really old stuff.  I wonder if anybody is still using it with
Unicode around for a long time...

> To be on the safe side, I’m leaving the actual jp2uc conversion untouched
> for now, and I’ve just added a dummy back-conversion uc2jp with a #warning.
> If the #warning is ignored or removed, the non-Cygwin build should work as
> before, fixing just locale handling.
>
> I'm attaching the wcwidth part here, all patches are available at
> http://towo.net/cygwin/Unicode_and_locale_tweaks.zip (don't fit in the
> mailbox size limit).

So why don't you use git send-email (ideally with a cover letter, see
`git format-patch --cover-letter') instead of attaching the patches to a
single email?  This is the correct way of sending patch series and it
gets you around the size limit.

The below patches are missing a patch, last one is patch 3/4.

Patches 2 and 3 are ok, afaics, but as for patch 1, why did you create
an extra Makefile?  This should be merged into string/Makefile.am.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer