Using newlib as substitute to msvcrt.dll on wind32 and mingw?

Hi,

for a win32 project (www.pyinstaller.org) I need to replace the
dynamically linked msvcrt.dll by a static library. Linking wih
mscvdt.dll is not an option since this conflicts with other msvcrt*.dlls
required by the python.dll.

PyInstaller's C-code only uses a few simple functions like alloc,
memcopy, some string functions and some simple file-io (fseek). Thus the
lib could be stripped down to a bare minimum if this helps building it.
The code is cross-compiled on linux using mingw64.

Main question is: Can I use newlib for this task?

Is so, I'd appreciate some advise:

- How to compile newlib using mingw64? (I tried and failed.)
- Any options to be passed to mingw-gcc for linking with newlib?
- Other points to consider?

Please apologize my questions, I'm not a C-programmer but a Python user :-)

Side-note: I already tried linking with teh pre-build libc.a taken from
the cygwin distribution package. But this gave me "multiple definition"
errors.

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards