This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the newlib project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: GIT source build failure: wcwidth.c::_wcwidth misses __locale_cjk_lang()

Hello Corinna,

Am 24.08.2016 um 16:38 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Aug 23 14:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

No joy.  I tried a lot of stuff.  Basically I'm now down to

I continued trying and yes, there's a lot of details to get
right before this works.  Which is why this took so many days.

No autoupdate in the top-level, it has to stay as is.

No autoupdate in newlib, it breaks stuff.

I'll put it this way: some of that stuff really needs to be broken, then
put back together in a new, better way.

$ autoreconf

This fails.  I have a couple of warnings along the lines of: warning: _AC_COMPILER_EXEEXT was called before
I managed to solve that by updating and reordering some things. warning: source file 'net/domainname.c' is in a
subdirectory, but option 'subdir-objects' is

I've been burned by that 'subdir-objects' thingy before, so decided to
fix these by giving that 'net' subdirectory its own and

I eventually managed to beat all the warnings from autoreconf except the
one about automake-1.15 itself that is issued by perl.  For that I
decided to edit my local copy of /usr/bin/automake-1.15 directly :-)

Some minor points remain open:

* newlib/doc/ builds a program to run on the build machine, so uses $(CC_FOR_BUILD) --- but that failed here because $(CC_FOR_BUILD) ended up being the same as $(CC), i.e. it tried to build makedoc.exe using the new libraries under construction. It might have been necessary to configure the build as a cross from cygwin to cygwin ... I just built it with CC_FOR_BUILD=gcc instead.

* AM_V_GEN/AM_V_at could be applied more widely to yield a less wordy compile log. I only did some points where it seems useful.

* I'm less than clear about what to do with the libtool support files. autoreconf really wants there to be a 'newlib/m4' directory or similar for them to be in, but for now, they're in newlib itself.

* I don't recall if the setup was usable for a parallel make before, but now there are definitely some problems with it. In particular, the libm manpage extractor rule will need to be fixed.

The only way a 'git format-patch' becomes reasonably small was with the
--irreversible-delete option, so I've attached that. If anyone needs the whole whopping 29 MiB of it, I can send it off-list.

Have fun,

Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Attachment: 0001-Transport-newlib-auto-foo-to-current-versions-removi.patch.gz
Description: GNU Zip compressed data

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]