Newlib port for new architecture

Hi All,

I am looking to create a newlib port for Infineon Tricore architecture. I have read through the steps given, and want to get started.
As a first step, I have downloaded the newlib sources and want to see if I understand the build process correctly. It is explained very briefly on the website and more from linux environment.
I have pure windows setup [even gcc compiler and gnu-make] and would like to continue in windows environment with it for the moment. Do I mandatorily need Cygwin to proceed?

Can someone suggest information pointer about building standalone newlib sources in windows environment?

Regards,
-Varun