Re: supplying _foo_r functions when -DREENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED

Patrick Mansfield wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 03:39:08PM -0700, Patrick Mansfield wrote:

I am trying to build SPU with -DSIGNAL_PROVIDED, -DREENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED,
and -DMISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES, since the SPU doesn't need reentrant calls
(no threading, no signals), and setting these defines can save some space
and time.

But with those defines, I end up with these undefined functions:

	_gettimeofday_r - in time.c
	_sbrk_r - mallocr.c
	_times_r - in clock.c
	_write_r - in __dprintf.c (don't know if this is an issue)

How should I fix these? Supply SPU specific defines for them?

Or have generic defines for these if REENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED is defined?

i.e. defines like:

#define _sbrk_r(ptr, incr) sbrk(incr)

Here's RFC patch, it shows the reent.h with changes per above.

Where should these defines go?

Is this the right way to make this change?

This is too SPU-specific. It just so happens that spu replaces a number of newlib functions (e.g. I/O functions) that would use other syscalls you haven't included.

The correct way to do this is to check for both MISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES and REENTRANT_SYSCALLS_INCLUDED and then to create macros for all the newlib reentrant syscalls found in libc/reent. This would need to be documented in libc/include/reent.h as a new alternative. Some mention should probably be made to note that if multiple threads are possible, then dynamic reentrancy needs to be used (__DYNAMIC_REENT__). BTW: the macro variable names should be double-underscored.

Putting them in reent.h seems a reasonable place since all code includes this file.