Re: cygwin 1.5.24-2 gcc 3.4.4 stdio.h

Jeff Johnston wrote:

> It is not "wrong" to not define the flags for C89. They don't exist in the C89 spec.

That's right.  Since those _POSIX* defines start with an underscore followed
by a capital letter on a case-sensitive system, any strictly conforming C89
program has no right to use a variable that clashes with that.

And what about the fact that stdio.h, time.h etc include <sys/types.h>?  The
definitions in sys/types.h could be moved to stdio.h etc, at least when
strict ansi is defined, or alternatively they could be moved to some other
file which is included by both stdio.h and sys/types.h, or alternatively
the non-C89 functions could be #defined out in sys/types.h.

However, the last option is probably not very good, because I would
expect that if a C89 program explicitly does a #include of sys/types.h
then it should get all those extra defines.

BFN.  Paul.