Re: New libtool is in the GCC and Src trees.

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 15:06 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> [libtool-patches: please render assistance...SOS!]

> Secondly, the entire contents of libjava/libltdl/ need to be updated. I
> don't think it is The Right Thing, although it may be possible, to build
> an old version of libltdl using a new libtool.  I'm sure that there has
> been NO testing of any interaction between (new) libtool.m4 and (old)
> ltdl.m4.  The problem is, the libltdl interface has changed (although I
> believe it is still backwards compatible) -- and some of those changes
> have occurred between 2007-03-18 (the date of gcc's now-current libtool
> stuff) and today.
>
> So, before ANY of this work begins, we should decide:
>    (1) to use 2007-03-18 libtool for everything, including libltdl, and
> delay resyncing to more recent libtool until we get stuff stabilized
>    (2) or combine the libltdl work in libjava with a general repeat of
> Steve's merge, updating libtool throughout to a more recent CVS version.
>
> Ordinarily I'd say (1), but as Andreas pointed out there were some
> issues with updating the aclocal's -- which means we've got to
> re-aclocal/re-automake/re-autoconf again very soon, /anyway/...  Plus,
> the libtool guys might have something to say about the changes in
> libltdl in the last two months that might impact this decision.

With the new libtool `libtoolize --copy --ltdl --subproject', should
give you a libltdl directory that is ready to go. It will also include
all the necessary m4 files etc in its m4 subdir. I guess gcc will want
to rm at least the libtool.m4 in there and use the one at the top level.

What Gary has been doing recently, and it may very well affect libjava,
is to allow the client to choose, if the OS allows it, to load
RTLD_LOCAL or RTLD_GLOBAL. The default in libtool-1.5 was RTLD_GLOBAL,
so that is likely what libjava is using now, the default changed for the
development branch to RTLD_LOCAL. The recent changes add api to let the
client choose.

I would consider using the libltdl from the 1.5 branch, even if that
means adding all the required m4, including the 1.5 libtool.m4 to the
libltdl subdir in gcc, this would insulate you from any changes to
libltdl that may be made during development of libtool.

Or maybe Gary will pipe up and say "finished, nothing else will
change!". Gary?

Peter