Re: Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> I don't see how this could be a side effect of Dan's patch (not that I
> looked very hard into it).  I do know autoconf 2.5x is different from
> autoconf 2.13 in this regard (see node 'Hosts and Cross-Compilation'
> in the autoconf manual for the gory details), but I'd have thought
> that this change would have affected us a long time ago, when the gcc
> subdir switched to autoconf 2.5x.  Is that not so?

That section describes how autoconf goes into cross-compilation mode (host
!= build, building a compiler that won't run on the system on which you
build it) and how that has changed.  I don't see anything relevant to the
issue of how it decides whether the compiler being built is a
cross-compiler (host != target) or what names it would be installed under.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com