Re: Compiling ctypes (libffi) for Windows Itanium

On 01/26/2010 02:41 PM, Guy Rozendorn wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to build Python 2.6 for Windows Itanium.
I have the IA64 MSVC compiler set up, and so far I managed to build the
entire Python PCBuild project, except for ctypes.

The project of course does not build on its own for IA64 on Windows, since
its missing the appropriate assembly for the libffi part.
Since we’re not familiar at all with itanium assembly, we tried to
workaround it:
• We looked at the existing windows linux assemblies in the project, and
tried to understand what they do
• We wrote some in C that should do pretty much the same, and compiled
ctypes with that
• It compiled without a too much hassle, but it didn’t work out (python
crashes when using ctypes on itanium)

So, my questions are:
• Does someone successfully compiled ctypes for Windows IA64? Or have
another lead for us?
• It looks like that a compiler wrote the linux-ia64 assembly, and not a
human being.

I'm pretty sure it was human-generated.

But we didn’t find the original C code of that in the project.

The reason that libffi contains so much assembly code, is that it's impossible to implement the libffi magic in C.

We hope that if we find the original C code, we can hack it a bit to also
compile and work on windows-ia64.
o Does someone know who the linux-ia64 assembly code was generated? From
which source? And who wrote it?

Unless you're looking at a different source code than me, you'll notice that it lists Hans Boehm from HP as the author of the IA-64 Linux port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

- Guy

Good luck!