Re: _*frame_* functions in glibc

"H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> Let me try to understand:
>
> 1. We want  _*frame_* functions in glibc.

Not necessarily.  We want to use the functins from the main object.
This way we can continue to use a glibc version even if this functions
at some point change (and take care of compatibility themselves).

> 2. We don't want to export them.

See #1.  If we cannot avoid having them in glibc (and only avoid using
them), then we don't want to export them.  But the scheme should in
any case apply automatically too all DSO, even if not using versioning
scripts.

> 3. If the main object uses them, we want glibc to use copies in
> the main object.

Right.

> 4. If the the main object doesn't use them, the copies in glibc will
> be used.

Hum, I cannot see how we can avoid using them in the main object but
the way you describe it would also work.

> 1. How to make glibc to use the ones from the main object and not
> export them at the same time? I assume you will give them a non-default
> version.
> 2. What about DSOs which need them?

I have not yet an answer to this.  But you have to remember: the frame
functions are called from the crtbegin files and we use different
files in DSOs and the main object.