Re: warning: internationalized messages should not contain the '\v' escape sequence

On 20/01/20 11:40 pm, Joseph Myers wrote:
> I don't see any real difference from e.g. printf format strings.  In both
> cases, there are conventions the string is following that the translated
> string has to follow as well.  What this suggests to me is that there
> should be a way to mark up a string as using the \v convention for gettext
> to verify that the translation follows the same convention, just as it can
> verify that printf formats are consistent between original and translated
> strings.

It sounded to me like this was more of a case where translation tools
(and hence, translators) are not consistent in their support of \v and
hence there is a likely variation across translations.  Requiring
translators to manually patch up files is an inconvenience that is
probably not worth it since the parts delimited by \v don't have to
strictly be together, i.e. they could be split into multiple strings and
not lose context for translators.

Siddhesh