Re: FYI: Status of gdb usage of gerrit

On 11/25/19 2:12 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Carlos O'Donell:
>
>>> I can post a detailed review, but given the low level of interest we
>>> seem to have in Gerrit, I'm not sure if that is necessary.
>>
>> Please do. I would like to hear that and have it written down for the
>> record.
>
> I'm not sure if this would be a good use of my time because at this
> point, it does not seem particularly likely to me that we are going to
> switch to Gerrit.

Why?

If we don't discuss this then we can't learn what areas gerrit was bad
at and apply the same critera of evaluation for the next tool.

(1) Email.

For example I think several of us have unspoken assumptions about what
we want from a code-review / CI / CD system.

Firstly, *nothing* will integrate with email in any serious way that
also allows:
* comment tracking
* side-by-side diffs
* quick version diffing with side-by-side diffs

If email is a success criteria then we have lost, and the only real option
is to use something like patchwork 2.0 which should have:

* same old email review workflow
* patch tracking
* CI/CD

In which case I need to:
* manually track comments from previous reviewers [time lost]
* use local tooling for side-by-side diffs (suggestions?)
* use local tooling for version-by-version changes (suggestions?)

I'm OK doing manual comment tracking.

(2) All or nothing.

Do we all need to switch to gerrit or only those that want to?
- Is that exclusionary of people in the community that don't
  want to use gerrit to review a particularly patch?
  - They could ask the review to be moved to email?

Would it be wrong if we had two ways to submit patches?

I just did a *bunch* of reviews in gerrit becuase it was easy
to see what's ready, merged/still applies, needs comments
answered, etc.

I can review by email too, it just requires more local tooling
to be setup.

There is some experiments going on with kernel + gerrit:
https://twitter.com/dvyukov/status/1161246539051937792
https://linux.googlesource.com/Documentation#gerrit-code-reviews-for-the-linux-kernel

Carlos.