Re: FYI: Status of gdb usage of gerrit

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 11:11:41AM +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> I didn't understand the point of not being able to club a sequence of
> patches as a patchset; I believe gerrit already identifies patchsets and
> they show up in the top right pane as such.  Maybe it refers to the
> inability to do so in the email notifications?

Gerrit also has "topics" which allow you to group patches together more
explicitly.

> That's a good workaround, perhaps even a decent way to mark the
> beginning of a patch series in git history.

Yes, that seems to be the recommended way to do cover letters in Gerrit.
Whether you'd want those patches to actually land in master, or whether
you'd want to just drop the cover letter at the point of merging the
changes, is possibly another question.  But if the patch sequence is
structured so that the cover letter is the last one in the series, it is
trivial to just drop it from the end of the series when merging.  (In
some ways it'd be more natural to put the cover letter first, but then
all the patches in the series would need to be rebased if you wanted to
merge them without the cover letter.)

p.