Re: Setup non-pushing gerrit instance for glibc.

On 11/12/19 4:10 PM, Gabriel F. T. Gomes wrote:
> Hi, Carlos,
>
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>
>> On 11/12/19 1:53 PM, Gabriel F. T. Gomes wrote:
>>>
>>> Simon mentioned [2] a "Quote" (button?).  Maybe that is what I wanted and
>>> couldn't find.
>>
>> Highlight, and hit 'c'?
>
> A-ha!  So that's how you do it.  Thanks!
>
>>> Like others in the community, I think I prefer using email, which gives me
>>> freedom to select the amount of quoting and snipping I want, so maybe this
>>> will never be a problem to anyone.
>>
>> Does highlighting and pressing 'c' resolve this for you?
>
> It does.
>
> And replying to comments in the web interface works like email, because I
> can edit the quote, so yes, I think this cover the vast majority (if not
> all) of the cases where I want to quote and snip.
>
>> The problem with Patchwork is that it never helped with patch review.
>>
>> Patchwork was simply another way to view the mailing list.
>
> I guess you're right.  Patches were piling up, probably because we weren't
> using patchwork that much.
>
>> Gerrit today lets me actually complete reviews from start-to-finish and
>> can act as an assitance to me.
>>
>> For example Gerrit already tells me if patches have merge conflicts, so
>> I can ignore those or tell people to rebase.
>>
>> Eventually if we get some ci/cd tied to gerrit it should be really really
>> helpful for reviewers.
>
> Right, right.  I hope you didn't get me wrong, I like the idea of having
> gerrit for glibc and I certainly want to enable more workflows.  I am not
> against gerrit, and I'm sorry if my comments sounded that way.
>
> Thanks for your comments.

Please accept my apologies if I sounded terse or defensive, that was not
my intent.

I would like to see us *really* experiment well with Gerrit, and I'm
absolutely over the moon at the number of patches Florian is feeding gerrit.

It has allowed me to easily track his patches, and they auto-close if we can
get the matching Changeset-ID in there and avoid the Reviewed-by: change
pitfall (by enabling pushes).

You can't believe how many times I have to ask people "Give me a list of URLs
to patches you want reviewed and keep it up to date please." which is just dumb
in this day and age.

Carlos.